Ryder North Dakota 58779
Although the weather was rather brisk, the attendance at the show was above expectations. Our two day show was held October 4 & 5 this year. This is a grain farming community so when harvest is late our show is postponed until after harvest. Our parade goes down the main street of Makoti and out to the threshing and display area. There were about 110 units in the parade this year. We don't have permanent show grounds but go to a different stubble field on the edge of town each year. The whole show is portable including the four cook cars that serve lunches. The young people also have concession stands. Meals are served in town at Hope Lutheran Church, the Cafe and the Legion Hall.
Newly built for this year was the information booth where the guest register was kept and souvenir buttons, booklets and other items were on sale. Copies of our 1969 show booklet are available.
Al. Christenson, of Parshall donated 937 gallons of gas with his Mobil Oil bulk truck to keep the 51 tractors, 14 cars and 12 trucks plus 43 stationary engines running.
Jeff Evenson, from Parshall donated his sound equipment and pickup for the announcers to use during the parade and show.
Elmer Wolff, association president, described the parade for KTYN radio of Minot in a live broadcast on Saturday afternoon.
Three were five John Deere D tractors in the parade. They were 1924, 26, 27, 28, and 29 models. The seven Oil Pulls ranged from a 12-20 owned by Willard Olson, Powers Lake to the Schenfisch Bros. 30-60 model E run by Glen Warner, Ryder. One of the odd tractors here for the first time was the 1918 Light Four Huber. This tractor was beautifully restored by Allan Larson, Newburg. It has the cross-mounted motor and high wheels. There were two four wheel drive Massey-Harris tractors here for the first time; one by Wm. Schmidt, South Heart, the other by Ed Dobrinski. Two fire trucks, retired last year by the Minot Fire Department and leased to the association, were in the parade. One was a 1919 American LaFrance, the other a 1930 Reo Speedwagon. Art Haga, of Bergan, was here with a 1907 Stanley Steamer. Among the cars was a 1919 Overland just restored by Manfred Johnson, Minot.
Equipment on display after parade at the 1969 Makoti Threshing and Antique Show.
Over twenty loads of oats bundles were put thru the seven threshing machines. The biggest being the 42' x 64' 1914 Aultman Taylor while the smallest was a 24' x 42' 1924 Goodison thresher. These two are wood construction. The latest machine added to the show was the 36' x 60' 1924 Russell all steel/machine, purchased by Art Oberg, of Ryder, from Henry Torske, of Conrad, Mont, (recently deceased). Henry Torske came early in the week before the show and worked faithfully to help get the 20 hp. Aultman Taylor steam engine ready for the show. This was the first time this engine ran in our show and was one of the seven steam traction engines in the parade. Harry Smith, of Sawyer, hauled many loads of bundles up to the machines with his fine team of Belgian sorrel mares. A 1926 Case hand wire tie baler loaned to the association by the Sorenson Bros, of Powers Lake, was operated by Leslie Enockson. Wayne Jones had one of his two trailer loads of stationary engines freshly painted. This was quite attractive. Marvine Franklin and Dale Hopkins made an exhaust whistle which drew the crowds attention, especially when on some of the bigger hit and miss stationary engines. The biggest was a nine hp. Economy King owned by George Jones, Ryder. This engine was put in a farm elevator in 1917 where it was used for fifty years.
There were many other antique and model displays on the grounds and in town for the crowd to view.
In addition to our regular advertising, we were fortunate this year to be featured in a three page threshing show article in the state R.E.A. magazine. A full page color cover picture of a steam threshing rig along with nine other pictures taken at Makoti were in the story.