2059 State Highway 29 Johnstown, New York 12095
I would like to share my second restoration project with fellow subscribers. Although this is not a rare engine, I still found it an educational and enjoyable project.
My project was a 1927 2 HP Stover 'KA' with serial number 185516. I had just finished restoring a John Deere 1? HP 'E' engine for my father-in-law, when he mentioned that he had an old 'non' John Deere engine sitting out in a shed. When I went to investigate, I found a rusty old engine, bolted to a few pieces of scrap lumber.
My preliminary check over showed a missing gas tank, no spark from the mag, crank guard and oiler missing, and a small patch on a cylinder head crack. I did a temporary hookup to an external gas tank and wired an automobile coil through the mag points with a battery charger for power.
With this setup, I was able to get the engine running and check for leaks. It seemed to run quite fast for what it was rated at, so I adjusted the governor screw to bring it below 600 rpm. After that, it ran nicely.
Since the magnets had no magnetism left, I sent the mag to be rebuilt by an advertiser I found in GEM. While waiting for the mag to come back, I bought a gas tank and a cart (also from GEM advertisers!). The cherry skids came from a local lumber yard, and my wife did the lettering in a style found in Wendel's Power in the Past, Vol 3. The other remaining missing parts were found and installed. The crack in the head was not leaking, but I cleaned it out and used JB Weld. I decided to replace the head at a later date. The engine had good compression, so a complete tear-down was not necessary.
After a complete degreasing, cleanup, paint job, bearing adjustment, and a maintenance update, it was running once again.
I learned quite a lot from this project. I will admit I hadn't the slightest idea what a WICO 'EK' was or how it worked when I was given the engine, but I do now! I have been a Volkswagen mechanic for all of my adult life and this new interest in something else mechanical is really enjoyable. It was really a challenge to get an engine back to the way it was 20 years ago.
I know the placement of the pin striping on the flywheels is not exactly correct, but I had fun doing it. I would hope that if old D. C. Stover was still around, he would approve!