Courtesy of Leroy Quandt, Ryder, North Dakota 58779.
Ryder, North Dakota 58779.
The area around Makoti had a late season in 1970. Spring work was about to go into full swing when three feet of snow fell beginning April 13. This delayed spring seeding until the last part of May. Harvest began the last of August but was delayed by rain until the last part of September. After several date changes the show dates of October 10 and 11 were finalized.
The week before the show was cloudy and cool with the temperature hovering between 25 and 45. It was hard to generate enthusiasm for the show. The hard core members of the organization plodded on doggedly making preparations of the show. The first day of the show remained cloudy and cold and spirits remained low although nearly a thousand people attended the show. Sunday morning the sun came out bright, the wind became a light breeze just right for draught for the steam engines. By 3 PM the temperature had risen to about sixty above. An estimated eight thousand people came to see the parade and show.
We had been surrounded by snow storms on every side the week before the show. In some directions the snow was less than fifty miles from Makoti.
The parade this year consisted of about one hundred fifteen units. About half of the units are the old kerosene tractors representing 25 different makes. Of these, the Rumely had the largest number with nine; next was Case with five models.
Here for the first time was a 1909 30-60 Hart Parr purchased this spring at a farm auction sale near Hallo way, Minnesota. Ed Dobrinski and Wayne Jones worked furiously the week after harvest to get the tractor running by show time. Glenn Ness, Minot, drove his 1912 Model E Oilpull which Dorance Heise, Ryder, had put in running order during the summer. The addition to the show of these two more big 30-60 tractors brought the total to nine. The tractors rated 30-60 or larger.
Mrs. Alger Arness, Plaza, donated the highwheeler homemade model A Ford mail carrier vehicle. It was driven by Alger Jr., Tioga, for the parade. Bill Franklin, Ryder, had his completely restored 1925 model K 18-32 cross-mounted Case at the show. Erwin and Dale Hopkins, Ryder, had a F-12 Farm-all in nice shape driven by Elmer Anderson, Makoti. Norman Livingston, Minot, brought out a Rumely Six. Peter Bosch, Minot, brought a standard twin Steel wheel garden tractor.
The Minot Antique Car Club came out with a number of beautifully restored cars. Bernie Solberg, Minot, brought a 1916 Studebaker grain wagon, which was pulled by Satin and Silk, a Belgian team, owned by Harry Smith, Sawyer. Wayne Jones, Ryder, had another trailer load of 25 small stationary engines restored. Dale Hopkins and Marvin Franklin, Ryder, had several more engines as did other collectors.
One pleasant surprise was to come in to town on Saturday morning and find a 25-75 Garr Scott double cylinder 1916 steam engine on a lowboy setting by the museum. John Tysse, Jr., Crosby, and Bill Krumwiede had purchased this engine this summer from Danny Roen, Comstock, Minnesota. In 1946 the Fargo Forum ran a story on Danny and his engine. The story got into the Times, from there to the Yank magazine and so received world wide publicity. John had contacted Ray German, the engineer from the Four Corners, Montana, show to come and run the Garr Scott. The engine was still on the lowboy at noon but by parade time, which was an hour and a half later, Ray had the engine in the parade line ready to roll. Ray said he didn't know how he did it but this does demonstrate his ability as an engineer.
Ray is also proficient on the fiddle as he demonstrated both evenings after the show. Sunday evening the Rensch Garage put on a grilled meal for the members. This year antelope burgers were on the menu.
Moving out to threshing area after parade. This is a Russell outfit at the 1970 Makoti Threshing Show.
With the completion of another steel covered building this summer of 60 by 90, our museum complex now has over 13,000 square feet of floor space. The buildings are completely emptied to the bare walls for the show. A complete floor plan was made up this year for the museum so each unit has a designated place in the museum. Most of the units were positioned Sunday evening after the show, while the remaining few were parked inside Monday morning. The museum is open at any time for those interested in viewing our show units. The 1970, 150-page show booklet is also available for a dollar.
Bill Grimley of Durham, N. C, is wearing a jacket. This is the only men's jacket picturized in our 3 day show. The Magnolia in the background blooms June-July-Aug. Here's hoping that Will will be back with his truck load of engines for Antique Acres second annual show April 16-17-18, 1971 (minus jacket). Most of Bill's 50 engines are choice collectors items.