×
×

Circa-1908 150 HP Turner-Fricke engine

Author Photo
By Preston Foster | Apr 30, 2010

1 / 4
The circa-1908 150 HP Turner-Fricke engine on display at Coolspring Power Museum, Coolspring, Pa.
2 / 4
The 150 KW alternator on display with the circa-1908 150 HP Turner-Fricke engine.
3 / 4
The marble switchboard on display with the circa-1908 150 HP Turner-Fricke engine.
4 / 4
The back side of the Roystone Station factory office as seen from the high crane bay, looking much like it did when the engine was built.

Made by: Turner-Fricke Mfg. Co., Pittsburgh, PA
Year: Circa 1908
Horsepower: 150

Though the nameplate says Pittsburgh, this 4-cylinder vertical engine was actually built in the steel mill town of Sharon, Pa. Few were made and no others are known to exist. 

Several of these engines saw service as light plant engines in natural gas compressor stations in northern Pennsylvania and Ohio.

This engine and two others like it served at Roystone Station on Route 6 between Sheffield and Kane.

Roystone Station was also the home of the two 600 HP Snow engines that are now on display at Coolspring Power Museum and at Rollag, Minn.

A 150 KW alternator and the marble switchboards along the right wall are also from Roystone Station.

The engine was removed by Dr. Paul Harvey in l972 and is on loan to the museum from his collection.

Contact the Coolspring Power Museum at P.O. Box 19, Coolspring, PA 15730 • (814) 849-6883 • coolspring@penn.comwww.coolspringpowermuseum.org.

Gas Engine Magazine

Preserving the History of Internal Combustion Engines