R.D. #3 Louisville, Ohio 44641.
Whoever owned the tractor took the motor off of it.
A friend of mine was going to scrap it. Being a lover of tired iron, I brought it home. I asked, as I said, for information, near and far.
It has a wide V belt to connect the motor to gearing to propel it. I asked the previous owner when the motor was removed and what happened to the V belt pulley that was on the motor. He told me he knew where the motor was. The reason for removing it was that it would not run. I thought I was up another dark alley.
One day the phone rang and I was asked to come to his place. He had found the motor that was taken from the Shaw. The motor was free, but no spark. I took it to a friend of mine who has a mower repair business. He found a coil for it. Now it runs.
Still hoping somewhere, someplace, I was at a loss what move to make in my restoration.
I cleaned the tractor all off, replaced and repaired what I saw was damaged, then I took a long look at it and decided to figure out how to motivate it for use.
What was needed was the bottom plate the motor sat on. Fearing using it without that plate as it hung on one end, I studied the problem and I welded a plate to the front brace, discovering that it pivoted on the frame. I measured the distance from front brace to lifting arm on back of the motor. Using my power hack saw I cut a piece to length and welded the three pieces together.
Now I have the clutch operating. Some parts and bolts were missing. I had castings made and everything that was bent was aligned to original condition. I put a new throttle cable on, as the original was taken off. Everything else is original as made.
My tractor is all painted and looks as good, or maybe better, than originally built. When I was able to take it outside I took some pictures of it to show you GEM readers.
Another rare garden tractor salvaged; too good to scrap! Shaw made good equipment. The man I got it from wants to buy it back! No way!