The Buying and Restoring of My 22-36

22 x 36 McCormick Deering before restoration

Content Tools

E6362 Highway 22, Manawa, Wisconsin 54949

In July of 1991, I was president of the Union Threshermens' Club. That year we were featuring International tractors and machinery during our annual show. Since I am all IH, the members decided I should be in charge of it. I own a restored F-20, F-30, H, a Cub Cadet, 1 horse M engine and a corn sheller. Over the years, I have also sold three IH tractors. I said I would never buy another one, because I had no one to drive them. I must have been lying to myself.

On the last day of the show, a gentleman by the name of Dick Werth came up to me and asked me if I liked International tractors. I said that I did. I think I was teethed on the steering wheel of an International I guess that's why he asked me. He went on to tell me that he had a tractor for me. I asked him what kind it was he replied, 'A 22 x 36 McCormick Deering.'

He lives only two miles from me, and the show, and wanted his tractor to stay in the area. I asked him how much he wanted and told him I would be out in a few days to look at it.

In a few days I did go out to look at it. Well, I was taken out to a shed, and way in the back, she sat. I looked her over. Boy, she needed a lot of work! The fenders were bad, the back wheels were rusted away, the hood was bad, and the engine was tight. She was a 1930 and had a gas manifold. I said I'd take her. I always wanted a tractor like that.

I got her home that fall, but didn't start working on her until the fall of 1992. Right then I decided that she would be running and done by July 1993.

That fall I got the fenders done. I had found two more that also needed work. So, with the help of my son-in-law, Kevin, we made two good fenders from the four bad ones. I also got the bad wheels done. This was something I had never done before. First, I cut the old rusty rim off and welded new ones on. Then I painted them and put tires on, which were given to me by a friend.

I was working under the boxelder tree in the backyard. With the weather getting cold, I put the fenders back on and removed a lot of the parts which could be worked on in the garage during the winter months. I cleaned up those parts and started on the hood.

I ran an ad in the GEM. A gentleman called from Watertown. He said he had a hood, but it wasn't much. They are hard to find, so one Saturday Kevin and I drove down there. Well, I came home with it, but I still had to have one piece of the hood made by a friend of mine.

The weather was warming up, so I went back to work outside. I cleaned up the rest of the tractor and broke the engine loose.

I needed the help of another friend to get the valves ground. He said I needed two valve guides, and one of the valve seats should be replaced. So I started looking around for parts. I found a head about 12 miles from me. I made a deal with that fine gentleman, and we made one good head out of two.

Now I had the engine back together and new wires on. It was May. I was ready to try and start it. I made a can to hook up to the carburetor with some gas in it. Then I started cranking. I only cranked about 10 times and she was running. This was one of the happiest days of my life!

With that done, it was time to put everything back together and paint her. Kevin and I took the finished tractor for a test drive. We drove it back to Dick Werth's house. Boy, was he ever happy to see her running again.

Well you see what a person can do with the help of a lot of good friends. This tractor can be seen at the Union Thresheree in Symco, Wisconsin, held each year the last full weekend of July.