Engine Acres, Rt 1, Box 1830, Gardiner, ME 04345
I suppose we all wonder why certain projects are tackled while others never seem to get off the ground.
After reading an article in GEM (Aug. 1990) by Darlene E. Frederick, I remembered seeing, several years ago, what I thought to be the remains of a Tiger tractor. When I checked, the tractor was still there and available. It turned out to be a C-100 model, missing the engine, hood, wheels (except the remains of a front one) and brake housing covers. Discovered nearby were the seat, plow push frame and adjustable drawbar.
Rebuilding started with finding the two 16 inch universal implement rear wheels. Never expecting to find good 12 inch original type bolt together wheels, I used old style boat trailer wheels for the front. The next task was to find a good serviceable engine which turned out to be an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton. After a lot of cleaning and grinding, rebuilding the steering assembly, obtaining new drive chain sprockets and making over a grill and hood from a garden tractor, the machine was ready for painting and assembly.
I can fully understand the interest shown by those who undertake a Tiger tractor project, as this intriguing little tractor certainly has a place in our mechanical history. The highlight came when I was able to find, at the very end, a pair of original front wheels.
Thanks to the Upper Potomac Vintage Auto Club for help in providing information and literature, and to Phillip and Sandy Bucher of Center-port, New York for their enthusiastic support and pictures they supplied.
I have already started on my next project, a 1947 Empire tractor, made in Philadelphia, PA. For further information call me at (207) 582-2529.