North Dakota 58779.
The Makoti Threshing show which was held September 25 and 26 was very well attended. The officers and members were very well pleased with show results. Shown for the first time at the Makoti show was a 1918 22-44 Minneapolis tractor purchased this summer by E. Dobrinske, Makoti from H. K. Halldorson, Edinburg, N. Dak. Ed also got a 1919 ? ton model 31 G.M.C. truck from him. Both of these units were in original condition and in running order. Herb Markwardt, Makoti operated the 22-44 Minneapolis while Don Morris, Ryder drove the G.M.C. truck for the parade and show.
Richard Kerzman, Garrison had his 1921 G.M.C. 1 ton truck going, as was a 1927 Chevrolet truck owned by Art Nelson, Plaza and driven by Duane Weltikol, Plaza. Also in the show was a six-speed special 1928 International owned by Dave Olson, Plaza and driven by Glen Olson, Plaza. Also appearing for the first time was a 1928 Model A truck owned by Pat McKinzie, Ryder and a 1926 Model T truck owned by Arnold Sagsveen, Lansford driven by Merritt Warner, Minot. The addition of these six trucks brought the total to seventeen in operation for this year's show.
Wayne Jones, Ryder had a 10-20 G.P. John Deere, a 1930 Model restored along with around another two dozen stationary engines. He now has over fifty engines on four flat bed trailers.
Dale Hopkins and Marvin Franklin, Ryder had another 1936 F-12 Farmall going, this one with a single front wheel. They also had several more stationary engines running.
Carl Schuh, Hazen, N. Dak. brought up his 1928 Caterpillar 15, completely restored for the show and left it here as part of the museum exhibit.
Art Forsman, Ryder abley ran the 15-30 Rumely which displayed a bright new shiny canopy recently installed by Bill Krumweide, Voltaire, N. Dak.
James Singer, Minot drove his freshly painted 1927 four-door Chevrolet sedan. Joe of Ryder, and Manfred Johnson, Minot restored a 1924 Model T Roadster for this year's show- This was just to mention a couple of about fifteen of the fine antique cars that appeared in the parade and show.
Al Pietsch, Minot with his bi-wing Starduster airplane put on a spectacular show of aerial acrobatics which the crowd thoroughly enjoyed.
Al Rennowitz, New Rockford came with a scale model steam engine, tender and Baker fan, which all the youngsters of every age watched with interest as Al drove them around the show grounds.
The North Shore High School band members served a pancake and sausage breakfast Sunday morning that was well attended in the middle of the 60-90 museum building. The band members also marched and played in the parade.
1936 Farmall F-12, belonging to Dale Hopkins and Marvin Franklin of Ryder at the Makoti 1971 Threshing Show--notice a single front wheel.
1926 Model T truck owned by Arnold Sagsveen of Lansford. This truck was at the Show also.
Superior 2 cycle, 2 cylinder Oil-field engine owned by Harold Norton, Brewster, Kansas and on the right is a Fairbanks-Morse Engine owned by Harold. Pictures taken at the Steam Engine Show near Bird City, Kansas in July of this year.
The Methodist Church building was acquired by the Makoti Threshing Association this year. This pioneer church was furnished very basically and was viewed by many. The old pump organ was playing and a number of people were singing during most of Sunday afternoon for the visitor's enjoyment.
Out on the show grounds, five separators again were used to thresh the oats. The separators were powered by the several different steam engines and large gas tractors. The replica of a Baker fan drew a lot of attention. The big .'50 H.P. Minneapolis double cylinder steamer owned by Orin Hanson, Sanish and fired by Lloyd Walters, New Town was able to run it the fastest while the Franklin and Hoplins 1936 Farmall F-12 was too light to even lift the drive bell off of the ground although it did run the fan at a fair speed.
Notice the flag flying. In the background are engines brought in by Carl Kerkman, Newhall, Iowa; Charles Vornholt, R. R., Solon, Iowa; Merrill Husted, Shellsburg, Iowa.
Three young ladies from Newton, Iowa-Mrs. Kenneth Gibson and daughters, Belva and Doci. To their right is a 1927--6 HP Sandwich and a 1? HP John Deere. In the background is the sign of Branch 8, Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association of which we are members.
Carl Bruchner of Hiawatha, Iowa and his homemade 1929 tractor. Carl Ricklefs from Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, Vinton, Iowa is on the seat. The children enjoyed riding in a wagon pulled by Mr. Bruchner's tractor.
Mr. John Janzam of Cedar Rapids, Iowa looking over our 1927 Sandwich engine. I am trying to explain how it works. The flywheel back of me belongs to an 1898 Foos--5 HP which belongs to Roy Pugh, Walford, Iowa, Jim Fogwell of Shellsburg, Iowa and us.
The 1926 Case baler run by Leslie Enockson, Makoti was again in operation. The Roy Peterson, Ryder 10 bottom P & O plow pulled by his 30-60 Aultman-Taylor was turning over the stubble.
The 1971 show booklet cover features the Jessie Shafer, Roseglen, 1916 40-80 Avery tractor pulling an eight 14' bottom P & 0 plow and a 101 binder at the same time. Doing the fall plowing and cutting the grain all in one operation. This tractor is now operated each year at our show by a son Herb Shafer, Ryder.