Manufacturers Flocked to the Badger State in the Early Days of the Gas Engine Industry
The badge on this Fairbanks-Morse engine, manufactured in Beloit, Wis., reveals its 25 HP size.
One of the best-known of all Wisconsin engine outfits was the John Lauson Mfg. Co. of New Holstein, Wis., which claimed the Frost King, shown in this 1910 advertisement, was “used successfully in all climates for the past decade.”
A closeup shows some basic information for Fuller & Johnson Mfg. Co. of Madison, Wis., off a 1-1/2 HP Fuller & Johnson pump jack made in 1905.
This 6 HP Oshkosh engine was manufactured in 1912 or 1913 by Oshkosh Mfg. Co., Oshkosh, Wis., but only for a couple of years. Robert Geiken of Hastings, Minn., owns this rare piece.
Termaat & Monahan Co. of Oshkosh, Wis., made engines for more than 20 years starting in 1895. This 1910 Gas Review ad shows one of the T&M pumping outfits.
Cudahy, Wis., was the home of Ingeco, short for the company’s name, International Gas Engine Co. They made engines from 1-1/2 to 60 HP, as this circa-1920 Farm Implements ad shows.