Philip Rubida of Box 494, Platte, South Dakota 57369 spotted this unusual picture in an issue of Grit. Mrs. Bernice Spears, of Murdo, South Dakota, owner of the photo, reports that E. S. Callihan (her father-in-law) is the man posing with a 'horseless carriage' he reportedly spent two years building. His vehicle was powered by steam generated by kerosene fuel. It attained a top speed of about 15 mph, had a whistle and a water gauge mounted on its 'dashboard'. Unfortunately, this relic does not survive. The picture was taken in Woonsocket, South Dakota in 1884.
A Sun gasoline engine, model N, 1 HP restored recently by Harold Slagell, 609 Church Street, St. Johns, Michigan 48879. The engine was built by the Sun Power Engine Co., Detroit, Michigan, and originally had a decal on each side. Slagell reports, 'The engine is so rare that apparently no one makes replacement decals for it. It does have a nice nameplate on the front.'
Blair Grube, 102 Kissick Lane, Freeport, Pennsylvania 16229 sent us this picture of a New Holland engine being hauled to the Portersville (Pa.) Fall Fling. It is owned by Ed Kimmell, who bought it from Naaman S. Rissler in August 1984, when it was transported some 250 miles in this car at night! Grube reports, 'We had a fine time getting it out and you can just imagine how he got it in! The car was just about 3' off the ground and the smell of gas filled the air. We at the show like to say, 'Now that's how they bring engines to Portersvillejust don't miss our shows!' ' The next Portersville Fall Fling is scheduled for October 5, 6, 1985.
Another homemade tractor builder is the work of Walter C. Farris, R#3, Box 320, Westmoreland, Tennessee 37186. The tractor is powered by a 9 HP Briggs cast iron electric start, a cut down 48 Ford rear end, a Ford 4 speed truck trans coupled to rear end with model A Ford 3 speed coupled to 4 speed. In the background is a wood splitter (also built by Farris) which has a new 10 HP Briggs I-C industrial-commercial engine.
This 4 HP Famous tank cooled IHC engine #SA509E manufactured and 1905, was restored 70 years later by Carl Alburtis, 300 Jones Ave., Warensburg, Missouri 64093. The wheels with auto tires are on a hydraulic axle and can lift the rig off the ground for transportation.