Giant Worthingtons are a Minnesotan’s Labor of Love
These are the generators coupled to the Worthington diesel engines. The 15-ton engines were originally manufactured by Worthington Pump and Machinery Corp. at the Buffalo Works in Buffalo, N.Y
Joe Kopp and the open rocker arm overhead valve Worthington engines. The town of Kenyon, Minn., bought this pair for use in a light plant from 1928 to 1975.
A view of the immense valvetrain components used on the Worthington engines. Check out the pushrods – they’re about 6 feet long
This piston ring from the Worthington gives an indication of bore size: Approximately 13 inches.
The Manzel force-feed lubrication system was made by the Manzel Bros. Co. of Buffalo, N.Y. A steady drip lubricates the cylinders. By watching swirls in the center of the glass, operators can see which pistons are getting oil, and when
Joe Kopp fell in love with the Worthington engines when he was just nine years old and living on a farm near Kenyon, Minn.