The Fairmont train order stand provided a safe method of delivering written train orders to the crews of passing trains. Prior to the use of two-way radios, train crews received written train location information as they passed various stations. The telegraphed information was written on a form, attached to the clip wires of a delivery fork and held up by the station master for the locomotive and caboose crews to retrieve. The stand eliminated the need to stand by the track as the train rolled past. This August 1946 photo shows an installation at one of the Fairmont, Minn., stations.