EXPERIMENTING on an ALAMO

3HP Alamo Blue Line Engine

Content Tools

RR# 1, Box 63 Avoca, Iowa 51521

I guess you could say that my son David started me in the hobby of collecting and restoring gasoline engines. I now have a 1 HP McCormick-Deering Model M; a 3 HP air cooled New Way; and a 3HP Alamo Blue Line.

When I bought the Alamo, it was stuck. Several pieces had been welded very sloppily. However, it was a pretty complete engine. The biggest thing my son and I were concerned with was a hole broken out of the casting under the rod bearing. Evidently, the engine had thrown a rod at one time. As the crank shaft came around, it had pounded the rod through the pan. We decided to try an experiment of our own. First, we covered the 2' x 3' hole on the bottom side with paste board, fastened with 2' grey furnace tape. Turning the casting right side up, this made a trough of sorts, as the casting was ' thick. We had had the engine sandblasted, so it was perfectly clean. We knew the cost would be prohibitive to use J. B. Weld to completely fill the hole. We decided to try something different. I am a carpenter and had used many cans of 'Rock Hard Water Putty.' It drys very hard, is easily mixed, and is inexpensive. That's what we used. We filled the hole with Rock Hard 1/32' from the top, smoothing it out with a table knife, a putty knife, and the trusty old index finger. After this had dried completely (takes overnight), we sanded off any spill around the edge and dusted.

Next, we finished filling the hole with J. B. Weld, lapping over onto the cast iron. We found, with minimal smoothing out while still wet, the job cannot be seen after painting. Turning the casting over again, we removed the past board form, covered this side with J. B., and painted. Follow the directions on the cans and tubes.