Engine #279, a 1907 Friend multi-purpose engine, shows the clean lines of the early engine base before the addition of integrally cast pump attachment brackets. (Photo courtesy of Clay Van Hoy.)
Introduced in 1910 at 3.5 horsepower, the Western engine carried a larger flywheel, bigger water hopper and hinged crank guard. Engine #2217, made in 1913, obviously died of a bullet wound to the carburetor.
After 1916, Friend BX and DX engines were standardized in external appearance. They featured a squat water hopper with internal cooler and a closed crankcase. Note the governor just ahead of the flywheel and above the bull gear.