The White & Middleton
Founded by Charles White and Arthur R. Middleton, the White & Middleton Gas Engine Co. introduced a line of high-grade engines in 1889.
Available styles included horizontal and vertical stationary models up to 60 HP and 4-stroke marine engines up to 6 HP. Reorganized in 1911 as the Charles White Gas Engine Co., engine production continued until about 1915.
White & Middleton horizontal stationary engines possessed a simple, but highly finished, design embodying a pushroad actuated exhaust valve and vertical flyball hit-and-miss governor. Other features include an exhaust-ported cylinder and a separate, third valve to admit fuel. Unusual in this size engine is the long piston stroke, nearly two and a half times the cylinder bore.
This particular engine was found in a farm storage shed near Shelby, Ind. No further history is known. It was brought to Coolpspring in 1992.
Contact the Coolspring Power Museum at P.O. Box 19, Coolspring, PA 15730 • (814) 849-6883 • firstname.lastname@example.org www.coolspringpowermuseum.org