Freeport, Ill., mogul Daniel Stover’s inventions encompassed almost all aspects of everyday life
Chris Johnson (1909-2000) was one of the founders and first president of the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club. Chris, who had worked in several departments at Stover and loved Stover engines, brought many new faces into the engine hobby. Chris is see
This illustration shows the various Stover factory buildings and sites. Many of these buildings are still standing and will be included in the Stover
Built in 1901, this is the last major factory complex built by Stover. Windmills and farm machinery were the principal products made in this building. Some engine foundry work may have been done at this location. Stover closed this plant in 1942 and the b
Stover’s first major factory complex built in 1872 and closed in 1926. Many windmills were built at this location and a bicycle factory was added in 1890. Later, Stover engines would be manufactured at this location. The Pecatonica River can be seen
The Stover Motor Car Co. was one of Stover’s independent companies that didn't last long. Local historians used to think that Stover built this factory to build automobile engines, but recent literature doesn't totally support that theory. This is a
The test room at Stover Engine Works. Stover tested all their engines and kept files by serial number on each engine’s performance. Note the adapters on the crankshafts of the engines and the load device on the far right engine.