Collector hits paydirt with interest in oil field engines
The original 16-foot diameter wooden band wheel powered by the 20 HP Olin belonging to Steve Cox. The band wheel and Steve’s Olin engine were in use on an oil lease during the late 1800s. The band wheel now belongs to the Wood County Historical Museum near Bowling Green, Ohio, and is part of the operating oil well display at the museum.
The water circulation pump and plumbing activated by a small crank arm on the end of the engine crankshaft
“Shooting the Well,” probably taken in 1897 or 1898 at the oil lease where Steve’s engine provided the oil well pumping power.
The “gasometer” – shows the top half inserted into the bottom half. The incoming oil well natural gas would raise and lower the top half activating the shut off valve as the gas filled the can, this would provide some pressure regulation and the can would also act as an accumulator tank.
The 1898 20 HP Olin engine from the back of the flywheels, showing the 7 HP Briggs pony engine and the rubber tire used as a starting wheel when it contacts the Olin’s flywheel. This will spin the engine at 30-35 RPM and provides an easy way to start the Olin.
Future projects that Steve Cox hopes to work on include a 1912 25 HP Superior apart in the shop.