1 Year and 1000 Mile Sharpies

2 HP Sharpies

Content Tools

7821 Dewberry Lane Cedar Hill, MO 63016

Ever try to haul two engines in an Escort one thousand miles? While cruising along Highway 17 in Ontario thinking of all the great fishing just a few miles down the road, I spotted a Fairbanks Morse Z Style D sitting on a stump. With a quick 180 degree turn and a couple of hundred feet back up 17 I looked the engine over.

The lady of the house said 'Yes the engine is for sale, but I'm not the owner.' After a brief discussion she indicated that on my return the following week the price would be established.

Continuing toward the fishing hole with two things on my mind fish and an engine plus a lot of teasing from the wife and two sons I saw a second beauty not a woman, but an engine beside a store.

After another direction reversal this engine turned out to be a 2 HP Sharpies. With luck I found the owner and it was for sale. Upon examination the Old Doll wasn't even stuck. When told the price, I decided it might be best to see how much the fishing trip cost.

Long before the fishing week was over I had decided the engine had to go to Missouri.

Saturday finally arrived and we hit the road with a cooler full of frozen fish, rods and reels, dirty clothes and four people in an Escort wagon.

Upon second examination the Sharpies looked even better. We finally agreed I would pay half the price, take the mag and ignitor, and would pick up the engine the following summer. There was no way to fit the Escort around the engine, and I could work on the mag that winter.

We headed west on 17 to the tree stump Fairbanks. The price was extremely reasonable on this one and it only weighed 160 pounds. It just might fit, so we unloaded the wagon, loaded the old rusty one lunger and reloaded.

Had an uneventful trip home.

During the fall I got the Fairbanks running, did a repaint and was well pleased, except for the Sharpies still sitting out in the cold.

One year to the day I first saw the Sharpies, it was Canada again, except this time with a pick-up. Loading this sweet little thing was another problem. Without ramps the pick-up bed presented a major obstacle, but help did arrive and the four of us heaved simultaneously. Sure would have been easier if the bed height had been the same before loading as after. I also found out from one of the loaders that his grandfather had purchased the engine new in 1916.

The piston had stuck over the winter, but that was the only change from its first winter outside. The engine had been kept shedded throughout its history and was used to run a buzz saw. In fact, the name painting, striping and color was easily copied and reproduced after restoration by David, my oldest son.

The fishing was good again and I returned home with my one year and thousand mile Sharpies.

Rebuilding took top priority and the adjacent photo, taken by Mike, my youngest, should indicate how the old gal is doing.