North Central Steam & Gas Engine Club of Edgar, Wisconsin Presents Annual Show

M 3 HP gasoline/kerosene engine

Content Tools

Submitted by Lorraine Martyn, 1375 11th Avenue Edgar, Wisconsin 54426.

Edgar, Wisconsin is a small town with a population of about 1500. During the last weekend of August each year, at least three times the population of the town converges on the farm belonging to Kurt Umnus Jr. What causes this vast migration is a show which has been presented for the last sixteen years by members of the North Central Steam and Gas Engine Club of Edgar. By Sunday noon, all 4500 souvenir buttons had been sold. Some of the ladies still selling tickets at the entrance didn't get a chance to stop for lunch because of the line of cars filled with people wanting to get in to see all there was to see. There were acres of land set aside for parking so there was room to spare for all who wanted to attend.

Being a native of New York City, and relatively new to country life, all that the show had to offer was pretty new and different to me. What a lot there was to see!

We went over to the grounds at dusk on Friday night before the show officially started. There was a local polka band playing for the entertainment of the exhibitors and flea marketeers who had arrived earlier in the day to get set up and ready for the weekend. Many of the folks there were swapping stories of their latest acquisitions and catching up on what had happened since they had last seen each other.

Outside, there was some last minute painting of equipment. One fellow was painting up a rather rusty piece with some pretty green enamel. It seems that until a few weeks ago the plow had been up to its axles in mud and had been rescued from oblivion in the nick of time to come to the show and thus the last minute paint job. It reminded me of the scene in 'Alice in Wonderland' where the cardmen frantically put the red paint on the white roses to please the Red Queen.

Featured both Saturday and Sunday was a 1 o'clock parade of vehicles. Participants ranged in size from the 80 HP Case owned by George Sommers to mini-replicas of a Case steamer and a thresher presented by Rick Stencil, Edgar. There were a good dozen of the crowd pleasing giants, Advance Rumelys, Cases, Minneapolis. Also appearing was a goodly selection of smaller, newer tractors: Ford, John Deere, Avery, Huber, Rumely Oil Pull. There were crawlers, homemade cars and wagons. Representing an even earlier day of farming technology were wagons pulled by giant horses and one '1/2 HP' cart pulled by a pony. There was a trained dog in one of the wagons; the driver honked 'shave and a haircut' on a horn and the dog barked the 'two bits.' That got a laugh from the crowd every time. Another crowd pleaser was the contraption made from an old garden tractor which had been ingeniously modified into an aluminum can crusher.

It was interesting watching the people watching the work being done. There were folks with video cameras, regular cameras, sound recorders. One of the steamers suddenly made a terrible clunking sound and quit working. People came from all around to see what the trouble was. Some just watched, some made 'helpful' suggestions on cause and cure, some talked and compared this with modern machinery problems. It was neat how even a breakdown was of interest to everyone there.

The oldest steam engine that we found was a Minneapolis 22 HP made in 1913. It was brought to the show by Steve Mole, Connorsville. His grandfather had worked with it when it was new and it has been in Steve's family since his grandfather bought it from its first owner. It was beautifully restored with bright red wheels and yellow trim. Some of the mechanical parts on the top were green with the embossed parts highlighted in gold.

We got a kick out of seeing the smaller items at the show as well: the Maytag washer with a butter churn attachment, a scale model sawmill built in 1945 by Norman Franck of Minoqua, a 2 inch scale Phoenix Steam Hauler logging engine built by Dan Kiekhaffer of Colfax, model carousels, pumps and ferris wheels run by hot air compression motors and made by retired carpenter Russel Bryan of Baraboo. We liked the McCormick Deering Type M 3 HP gasoline/kerosene engine from 1936 with the quirky habit of blowing perfect smoke rings, and the collections of toy tractors. One display of toy John Deere tractors had examples ranging from the Waterloo Boy Model R, 1915-1919 through the 5020 model of 1965-72. You could see the development in farm machinery happening right there before you. The display was presented by Bill Proft, Waukonda, and Russ Buss, Athens.

A permanent fixture at the farm is a display of household objects, cooking utensils, plates and fancy dishes, dolls and other toys, old magazines and books.

Sandi Coyle brought her scaled down version of a cook shanty. It is a faithful reproduction of the building used by the wife of the threshing foreman for her job of feeding the threshing crews.

Gene Coyle brought another unique item to the show-an Adams Leaning Wheel Grader #12. It was used in Clark County for county road work around 1927. Gene's mother remembers seeing this grader being used when she was in high school.

One of the odder looking machines is the Albaugh-Dover 'Square Turn' tractor. It has a single, smaller wheel in the front and two large ones in the back. It pivots on the front wheel and can be made to go backwards or forwards with very little effort. It is one of only three left and seemed to be of great interest to the show's visitors. We got a good view of the moves it can make when it appeared in the parade. Wonder why they quit making them, as it sure seems like a good idea.

It was getting late on Sunday and folks started to pack up their machinery to go home. We decided to do the same. We bought a bag of buckwheat flour ground there for us by Bill and Verena Sheldon, carried our little sack of ground corn that we had shucked with a hand mill and then fed into a gas powered grinder, toted our boards cut at the mini-sawmill and looked up into the sky to catch a last glimpse of the biplanes that had been coming and going at 'Wien International Airport' all weekend. As we drove away the steamers seemed to salute and talk to each other with their whistles. We'll look forward to hearing them again near Edgar next year and smelling their 'eau de nostalgia.'