1302 S. 9th St., Watertown , Wisconsin 53094
A sea of green filled the Dodge County fairgrounds near Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, last August 7 and 8, as the Dodge County Antique Power Club presented its 25th anniversary Antique Power Show. That sea of green was a large gathering of John Deere tractors, gas engines and implements. John Deere was the club's 25th anniversary feature.
Some 140 individual exhibitors brought nearly 200 pieces of John Deere equipment to the fairgrounds, nearly filling the central feature area.
Two area chapters of the Two-Cylinder Club were invited to participate in the show. The Mid-State and Kettle Moraine chapters' presence and enthusiasm for all things Deere helped make the John Deere feature very successful.
Part of the line-up of antique pulling tractors waiting to be weighed-in Saturday afternoon, August 7, 1993, at the Dodge County Antique Power Show, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. A total of 118 pullers tried their luck on the track Saturday evening. Ronald Schmidt, West Bend, Wisconsin, has his 1932 model C Case on the scale.
A few Deere highlights included: Ken David of Farmersburg, Iowa, brought two beautifully restored Waterloo Boy gas engines; Bob Zweifel, Baraboo, displayed an eye-catching yellow LI with sickle mower; Joe Joas, Kiel, had his A jacked up and sitting on Coke bottles while idling smoothly; and Bill Klem of Baraboo brought a 1944 BO Lindeman crawler, a real rarity in this area.
Aside from the John Deere feature, the show was a success in several other ways with perfect weather helping a lot. It seemed to be the first completely dry weekend in a summer of excessive rain.
Exhibitors and guests responded in record numbers. There were 360 registered exhibitors and over 4200 paid attendance, both record numbers.
Along with all the Deeres there were about 100 tractors of other makes and models on display, and what seemed to be several hundred gas engines.
Some notable examples: Herb Miller, Madison, brought a beautiful 1908 IHC 12 HP portable gas engine. Gomer Buehring, Oshkosh, brought his 1918 Eagle 16-30, a tractor made in Appleton, Wisconsin. Jack Rhodes, Sr., Beaver Dam, brought his 1923 Wisconsin tractor built in Sauk City, Wisconsin, and Bob Frank, Beaver Dam, showed off his freshly restored Hart-Parr 28-50.
Six wagon loads of barley were cut and shocked the weekend before the show. It was threshed out using three separators: a John Deere owned by Jim Kassube of Waterloo, a McCormick-Deering, and an ancient wooden Belle City, both owned by the Power Club. Threshing at the show is usually supervised by club treasurer Dave Grebel and Lee and Todd Wanie of Beaver Dam.
Alongside the full size machines, 2-scale model threshing rigs were set up and running. Mike Kolb, Oshkosh, brought his scale Oil Pull and Case threshing machine and Jim Gutenberger, Colby, brought his scale John Deere D with threshing machine.
The sawmill was run by Marv Rustad of Cottage Grove, with help from Jerry Neumann, Larry Shears and Dave Vande Zande, all from Waupun.
The sawmill gave the steam engine owners a good chance to show what their old machines could do.
There were four steamers at the show this year. A 1922 A.B. Farquhar owned by the Wahl family of Brandon, shown for the first time at the Dodge County show. The other engines were: a Case 65 HP owned by Ralph Noggle of Slinger; an 80 HP Nichols & Shepard owned by Jim Tesch of Lake Mills, and a 65 HP Case owned by Bill Lanzendorf of Beaver Dam.
Jim and Wayne Kassube, brothers from Lake Mills and Waterloo, set up their corn shredding display using corn held over from last year. The corn was fed into a Rosenthal corn shredder powered by a John Deere AR, the stalks were then baled with an IHC stationary baler.
Deere was the Silver Anniversary feature at the show and included 140 exhibitors with over 200 pieces of equipment.
Ken David of Farmersburg, Iowa, fires up his beautifully restored Waterloo Boy 6 HP gas engine at the Dodge County Antique Power Club's 25th anniversary show.
Rudy Schmied of Watertown went through a pickup load of cedar logs, cutting them up for shingles on a shingle mill powered by a Rumely Oil Pull.
The Antique Tractor Pull got underway Saturday evening in front of the fairgrounds grandstand. With 118 pullers participating, Henry Sillman, Hustisford, had his hands full keeping all those pullers organized and moving.
The farm toy show, set up in the Youth Building, was a popular place with lots of miniature farm machinery and dollars changing hands.
Lee Grimm, Marshfield, and James Hoefler, Watertown, demonstrated their blacksmithing crafts and Paul Col-linson, Galva, Illinois, made brooms with real broom corn. Mary Behlke, Watertown, made baskets and the Sillman family of Waterloo demonstrated wool spinning.
While all of this was going on, members of the Power Club sold raffle tickets on a nice little John Deer MT which had been fixed and painted by club members. Ticket sales were brisk all weekend. The tractor was eventually won by Charles Grebel of Burnett.
This was the Dodge County Antique Power Club's last show at the fairgrounds location. The club finally made the big step of buying land for a permanent show site near Burnett. Next year's show will be August 6 & 7, 1994, at the club's new home at the intersection of CTH B & I, which is about 2 miles north of the fairgrounds location.
The 65 acre site is miles west of the village of Burnett at the crossroads settlement of Burnett Corners. Plans for the site include buildings, roads, electricity, a well, and the erection of a building to house a 150 HP Allis-Chalmers steam engine and generator that club members removed from the old Monarch Range Plant in Beaver Dam.
The 1994 show will feature Allis-Chalmers tractors and machinery.