Antique Power Club Show


There were 65 entries in the antique tractor pull Saturday afternoon at the 1996 Dodge County Antique Power Show, Burnett Corners, Wisconsin.

Content Tools

1310 S. 9th Street Watertown, Wisconsin 53094

The little crossroads settlement of Burnett Corners, Wisconsin, is home to the Dodge County Antique Power Club. On August 3 & 4, 1996, the Power Club presented its 28th annual Antique Power Show.

Even with clear blue skies all weekend, there was quite a bit of gray at the show grounds. That gray was caused by a large display of this year's feature: Ford and Fordson tractors and related machinery.

The Ford feature turned out better than many people expected. There were 42 registered Ford exhibitors and approximately 50 to 60 pieces in the Ford feature. There was everything from working tractors as common as dirt to beautifully restored pieces and a few quite rare units.

One Ford collector commented that since Ford isn't often featured at these shows he made it a real point to be there for this one.

The oldest piece in the Ford feature was a 1919 model F Fordson tractor owned by the Neumann family of Waupun. They also brought two later Fordsons. Donald Lund, Hartland, brought a 1923 Fordson. There was a total of five of these pioneer tractors.

Orville Schmidt, Campbellsport, and Rosemary Schmied, Watertown, both brought different Model T tractor conversions.

Howard Fischer, West Bend, displayed a 1925 model TT Ford truck. Edward Babcock, Juneau, drove over in a 1928 Model A.

There were at least half a dozen 9N's at the show. The most eye-catching was an aluminum hood 9N with serial number 16 which was brought in by Dwight Emstrom of Galesburg, Illinois. That brightly polished aluminum hood was hard to miss.

John Poch, New Holstein, displayed a 9N on steel wheels. Ralph Bluhm, Mequon, brought his 9N with a Dearborn two-wheel dump trailer.

There were maybe four of the somewhat rarer 2N's in attendance. Eugene Miller, Watertown, and Charles Hammer, Beaver Dam, each brought one.

There were plenty of 8N's at the show, probably 20 of that model.

The most notable of that group include a 1949 8N with Funk V8 conversion brought by Palmer Fossum, North-field, Minnesota; Joe Luriak, Menasha, also brought an 8N V8 conversion; Bob Wenzlaff, Kewaskum, brought an immaculately restored 8N; and Dwight Emstrom, Galesburg, Illinois, also brought an 8N with a Ford Dearborn grader conversion mounted on it.

Don Rice, Juneau, displayed a 1954 NAA with Arps half-tracks. Don also brought a 9N on steel and several other pieces.

Daniel Guenterberg, Iron Ridge, brought a 1956 model 600 with a one-arm loader and a Dearborn utility box. He was somewhat reluctant to bring this tractor since he uses it every day on his dairy farm, but he thought he could get by without it for a couple of days.

Chris Kangas, Dousman, displayed a 1957 Fordson Major Diesel.

Derek Quam, Madison, displayed his 901. Dave Bradley, Fox Lake, brought his 981 in striking gold demonstrator paint. Dave just finished painting the tractor and got it back together about a day before the show.

The club was given an old Dearborn-Wood Bros, combine, it was in excellent condition and operable. Each afternoon Jim Zahn, Juneau, hooked it to his Farmall M and made a few rounds in the standing oats.

Power Club members sold raffle tickets for a nicely fixed-up 8N and some other prizes. Ticket sales were very brisk. In fact, tickets were virtually sold out by the middle of Sunday afternoon. The winners were drawn at the club banquet in October. Rodger Breselow, Mayville, held the winning ticket and is now the proud owner of a 1951 8N.

Along with the Ford feature, the rest of the show was very successful as well. This was the Dodge County Antique Power Club's third show at its permanent Burnett Corners location.

Three years ago the club finally made a big decision and purchased 66 acres near the village of Burnett in central Dodge County. Those 66 acres of cropland have seen quite a few changes. The exhibit and parking areas have been seeded, several roads and driveways have been put in, several smaller buildings have been moved in, a permanent shelter was erected near the food stand, and a large shelter was erected for farm toy dealers and craft displays. A tractor pull track has been graded and fenced, and a lot of brush has been cut, low spots filled and high spots graded.

Future plans call for erecting a large pole shed to house several permanent exhibits. The largest of those is an Allis-Chalmers steam engine-generator set club members removed from the old Monarch Range factory in Beaver Dam.

Of course, there were all the other activities people have come to expect at the Antique Power Show: logs were cut into lumber on two sawmill rigs; a couple acres of oats were threshed (for a change this year the shocks were actually dry); Jim and Wayne Kassube, Lake Mills, set up a Rosenthal corn shredder and an IHC stationary baler and demonstrated their use; Pete Schimming, Beaver Dam, cut some standing corn with an IHC F-12 and an IHC corn binder and then ran the corn through a Fox silo filler.

Four steam engines were in attendance this year: a Case 65 HP owned by Bill Lanzendorf, Beaver Dam; an 1884 Rumely owned by John Raemisch, Dane; and a 60 HP Advance and 65 HP Case portable engine both owned by Ralph Noggle, Slinger.

Saturday afternoon saw an antique tractor pull with 65 pullers entered.

There was genuine horsepower on the grounds in the form of a team of Belgians owned by Bill Ladwig, Hori-con, giving wagon rides and doing a little plowing as well. Ralph Bohn and Roy Schwefel, Watertown, also brought their team of mules to give wagon rides.

The tractor exhibit gets bigger every year. A nose-count Sunday morning showed 173 tractors on the grounds at that time.

The gas engine exhibitors were set up around the outside perimeter of the exhibit area (where many can catch some shade). It was hard to get an accurate count but there seemed to be several hundred engines on hand.

A large flea market was set up between the parking lot and the main exhibit area. Many craftspeople and farm toy dealers were set up under the new 40' by 130' shelter. The shelter was completed about a week before the show.

Plenty of food and refreshments, including steamed sweet corn and a chicken barbecue Saturday evening, kept everyone from going hungry.

Next year's show will be August 2 & 3 and will feature Minneapolis-Moline tractors and machinery. For more information on the Dodge County Antique Power Club or the Antique Power Show call (414) 386-2441.