Atlas Way Back When

Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine Company

Content Tools

Reprinted with permission of Bill Hamel, Publisher of Mattoon, Illinois, Journal Gazette/Times-Courier. Sent to us by Lowell Lee, 932 First Street, Charleston, Illinois 61920.

In 1945, this was the Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine Company (later Young Radiator Company building) Industrial Softball Champions Urbana District Tournament with 'Chick' Galey as coach of the team. Players included, front row, 1-r, Dick Linder, Randy Madiera, Sug Doresy, Dale Cougill, 'Bud' Morgan, Kip Weaver, Don Johnson.

Second row, Dick Hutton, Bill Stratton, Gene Smith, Dick Nugent, Don Wickizer.

Back row, Mervin Baker, Andy Sullivan, Mickey Burrell, M.C. Wright, plant manager; Galey;  A.C. Fries, shop superintendent; Ray Schniers; Oscar Hood; Herman Gurtz. Carl Galey was bat boy.

The Atlas Engine Company and the Imperial Engine Company were merged in 1914, to form the Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine Company. Previously both had built gasoline engines but after their merger, they produced their first diesel engine. Engines were first built at Oakland, California, with M. C. Wright, Sr., as the first president of the new company. F. H. Kilberry was the next president. The company located in Mattoon in 1935, with R. H. Fernando as superintendent, M.A. Dent works manager and W. J. Webster as purchasing agent. (From Atlas News and Views, May, 1945).