20 Years Ago Reminiscing Gas Engine Magazine

December 1985


'Robert Womack and his 25 HP sideshaft Black Bear, manufactured by Oil Well Supply Co., Pittsburgh, Pa. The engine was salvaged from an oil field where the 1917 oil boom of Ranger, Texas, took place. '

Content Tools

Featured on the cover of the December 1985 issue, as well as pages 9 through 11, were Paul Smith's "Unusual New Hollands." The Richfield, Pa., resident's cover engines consisted of two 5 HP New Hollands belted up in tandem with each other running a feed grinder.

The extra-long cart was original New Holland equipment intended for this type of application, although these engines weren't on it when purchased. Paul had several other engines shown in the article, all of them painted red using Ditzler paint. Ditzler was bought out by PPG a number of years ago.

C.H. Wendel's now out-of-print Nebraska Tractor Tests Since 1920 was given a quick breakdown by Gerry Lestz in an article on page 4. Lestz gave a brief summary of Wendel's explanation of the history of the tests, who started them and why.

The first recorded test was on the 12-25 Model N Waterloo Boy in 1920, and the last was on an International 3088 Diesel in 1984. Lestz wrote, "Wendel notes that this test, last November, 'closely coincides with the final chapter of International Harvester Co.'s career in the farm equipment industry.'"

On page 22, Sgt. C.H. Henley wrote an article about the 2nd annual Delameter's Old Time Threshing Bee held at the Delameter farm, just north of Lee's Summit, Mo. We were unable to find any history on the show, and to the best of our knowledge, it no longer takes place. It is not clear how many people, tractors or engines showed up, but some members of the Sni-Valley Antique Machinery Assn. did make an appearance at the show.

The most fascinating article in this issue was titled "Relic of Ranger, Texas" by Robert Womack. He wrote of the little-known oil boom that took place in Ranger, Texas, in 1917 and the 25 HP Black Bear engine he acquired from the 750-acre premises.

Manufactured by the Oil Well Supply Co. in Pittsburgh, Pa., the engine sported 5-1/2-foot-tall flywheels and an 11-by-18-inch bore and stroke, respectively. At the time of the article, Robert had yet to get the 6,675 pound engine running, but planned to have it going by the following August.

See you all next month for the first issue of 1986!